Pepperell is a community in Middlesex Area, Massachusetts, USA. The populace was 11,497 at the 2010 demographics. It consists of the village of East Pepperell.
Pepperell was first solved in 1720 as a part of Groton, along with was officially incorporated as its very own community in 1775. The owners called it after Sir William Pepperrell, a Massachusetts colonial soldier who led the Siege of Louisbourg throughout King George’s Battle. The town was born in mind for its good dust and orchards.
Thinking about that its formation, the community was energetic in the American self-sufficiency activity. Liing northwest of Concord, Pepperell never saw British strike during the American War Of Independence, though numerous Pepperell people dealt with at the Old North Bridge throughout the Fight of Concord, and a British spy was caught by women on guard at the site of the Pepperell covered bridge. Town resident William Prescott functioned as the leader at the Fight of Sanctuary Hill in what is currently the Charlestown location of Boston.
By 1837, when the populace was 1,586, Pepperell had 3 paper mills, among which was handled by Warren F. Daniell. It furthermore produced palm leaf hats, boots and also footwear.
In 1848, the Worcester & Nashua Railroad was constructed by means of East Pepperell along the Nashua River as part of a through route from Worcester to Rose city. In 1886 the line entered into the Boston & Maine Railway, that continued to operate trains to Worcester and also Nashua, in addition to links to Rose city, Maine and beyond.
Pepperell MA was furthermore a station on the Boston & Maine’s Milford Branch in between Squannacook Joint in addition to Milford, New Hampshire. In 1938 the Milford Branch was deserted from Pepperell to South Milford. Trains remained to run as far as Pepperell till 1941 when the tracks to Squannacook Joint were additionally deserted, leaving Pepperell’s paper mill without straight rail service. To remedy this, a trestle bridge as well as also rail link was created from the B&M’s WN&P line over the Nashua River to make certain that products can still service the mill.
1941 likewise saw the desertion of the WN&P line in between Hollis, New Hampshire as well as Nashua; because of this, the train renamed the remaining to be sector from Ayer, Massachusetts with East Pepperell the “Hollis Branch”. Products service, greatly to the mill, was supplied by the B&M with a neighborhood items out of Ayer till 1981. The Hollis Branch was deserted in 1982 primarily because of bad track conditions, in addition to the tracks themselves were brought up in 1984.
In 2001, what had been the railroad flow was led over to become part of the Nashua River Rail Trail.
The Pepperell, Mass. town library, the Lawrence Collection, was made by designers Ernest Flagg and likewise Walter B. Chambers, in addition to integrated in 1901. On June 29, 2009 the people of Pepperell voted naturally on a Recommendation 2 1/2 override, efficiently saving operations of the Lawrence Collection, Senior Facility, as well as additionally Recreation center. The override helped fill a $1.3 million budget shortage for fiscal year 2010.
Among simply 3 protected bridges on public Massachusetts streets that is open to automotive traffic (as well as likewise the only one eastern of the Connecticut River) pushes Groton Road in Pepperell. The existing bridge officially opened up on July 30, 2010, changing the aging Chester H. Waterous Bridge which was closed to autos on April 7, 2008 as well as additionally ruined beginning July 30, 2008. It took two years to construct the new protected bridge.